Thursday, December 16, 2010

3 Smart Reasons to Hire a Health Coach

Health coaching is a term that’s slowly gaining momentum nowadays, and with good reason. Millions of people nationwide are finding that Western medicine is often times leaving them without answers to their ills and they’re repeatedly finding themselves frustrated, disappointed, and depressed.

It’s estimated that as much as 81% of the population takes at least 1 medication a day, with most people averaging closer to 2-3 meds daily. Reasons include symptoms such as high anxiety, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, stroke, stress, heart disease, insomnia, heart burn, hypothyroidism and the list goes on and on.

Hiring a health coach can help you bring your body back into balance without having to pop pills, however the top 3 most common reasons that people find themselves turning to a health coach vs a doctor these days are probably not why you think.

1. I can’t do it on my own.

You know what you should be doing, but are you actually doing it? The #1 reason people hire a health coach is to get the support they need to reclaim their health that’s lacking. Your mom or your brother or your best friend have the best intentions for you, I know, however they’re not trained nor are they as proficient at kicking you in the pants every once in a while when you’ve fallen off the wagon and you need to get back on.

Eating right and exercising is not a new concept, and everyone knows the basics of nutrition, but the problem is very few are actually following the rules. Having weekly check-in calls makes a huge difference in your follow through, plus it’s much more likely you will implement the actions steps set up for you when you’ve got someone holding you accountable for your goals.

Remember Rome wasn’t built in a day though! It’s a gradual process, over time, that incorporates a bunch of smaller changes that equal up to 1 big transformation in the end.

2. Hiring a health coach is not the same as hiring a diet center.

Hallelujah! This is a good thing. Now I’ve been down this road myself and can tell you that no Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, or Physicians Weight Loss consultant I ever went to told me that in order to drop fat permanently, I really needed to work on my adrenals, my thyroid, and balance my hormones. Oh, and that maybe I should throw in a digestive enzyme or 2 along the way to optimize my digestion. What they did instead was get me hooked on packaged, processed pretend food that only made things worse and tasted like cardboard.

With over 80% of Americans in adrenal exhaustion, and 70% – mostly women – suffering from thyroid dysfunction (regardless of what those blood tests say), it’s imperative word gets out that these conditions must come first when it comes to weight loss or any other health-related symptom. They’re actually the most common reasons I find that my clients have excess weight that won’t budge and they’re clueless about them until we start working together.

It takes a skilled practitioner to not only identify these conditions as root causes of low energy, cravings, moodiness, and embarrassing flab, and to then help you face them head on so you can reverse them for good. Because unless you do, that dream body you so desperately crave will continue to elude you.

3. Nutrition is super confusing anymore.

Been there, done that – know just how you feel. When I was in corporate, I was trying to be a part-time health coach and didn’t even know it. I read as many articles and books as I could get my hands on and had the time to read in between trucks stops, airports, and my own backyard, but I myself was super confused too.

There are hundreds of dietary theories out there and with nutrition a constantly evolving paradigm, figuring out which 1 was best was beyond me until I had the proper training. Health coaches break it all down for you, and if they’re anything like me, they like to make it fun! Nutrition doesn’t have to be boring or stodgy. That’s old skool. Time to get with the program! Health coaches are much more progressive and work from the concept of bio-individuality meaning what works for one doesn’t work for all.

So disregard the flack your husband gives you with confidence when you decide to go vegan because that’s what your body responds to best. Everyone is different and it’s a personal choice whether 1 theory is right for you. In my coaching practice, there’s no judgment. Just real, honest answers that are customized to your specific needs. Any experienced coach should be able to guide you down the path that is most suitable for you as a unique individual.

Don’t try to go it alone this January once the newness of those New Year’s resolutions wears off and you’re not sure where to turn. I have 1-Month, 2-Month, and 3-Month Coaching Programs available to suit a variety of needs and I’m currently accepting new clients. But I only have a few spots open and my practice fills up fast!

Contact me today to set up a time to discuss working together and see if this opportunity is right for you. Imagine life without counting calories, weighing or measuring, and still reaching your ideal weight and energy levels. It truly can be your reality. I should know – it’s mine every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

do you like this blog?